Mama Chat Monday With - Lana Van Rooyen
1. Tell us the first word that comes to mind when you think of your feeding journey?
Loneliness! Now that I have already done it, I know what to expect, unlike the first time when I thought it would be all rainbows and unicorns.
2. What best describes the way you feed your child?
Breastfeed first 6 months(until I returned to work) and then formula until they are completely off the bottle.
3. Did you ever feel embarrassed bottle-feeding or breastfeeding in public?
I felt embarrassed to breastfeed in public or in front of family, the only person I would breastfeed around was my partner. This made me feel extremely isolated and lonely as I was always in bedrooms and public toilets by myself.
4. Are there any products that made your feeding journey easier?
I found the hydrogel pads the first few weeks and a feeding pillow very helpful. I didn't struggle with mastitis or cracked nipples so didn't need much.
5. What was the funniest thing that happened during your feeding journey?
I was pumping milk in the bedroom while my partner's 13-year-old brother was staying at ours, he suddenly came into the room to ask me something and quickly froze when he found me sitting on the bed without a top pumping milk. HE WAS HORRIFIED and so was I, I have a good laugh about it now but it was very awkward after. He now remembers to knock.
6. If you could give a new mum one piece of advice what would it be?
To attend a breastfeeding class with your partner before the baby is born, the only things that got me through my journey was my partner encouraging me and understanding when things got hard. I was also half asleep the first few days after my son was born and my partner knew exactly what to do to get my son to latch properly and helped out allot.
Thanks so much for sharing your journey Lana X